Monday, December 06, 2021

  • Monday, December 06, 2021
  • Elder of Ziyon
Emma Gometz


Teen Vogue has published yet another anti-Israel piece from yet another 22-year old who is convinced she knows what she is talking about.

The day I moved into my first college dorm room in New York City, my grandparents surprised me with a gift. They lovingly placed a large book into my hands: Myths and Facts: A Guide to the Arab-Israeli Conflict, by Mitchell Bard. I’m no historian, but I recognized Bard as the author of several other books, with titles such as The Arab Lobby and Death to the Infidels: Radical Islam’s War Against the Jews.

I understood why they gifted me this particular book. My college has a reputation among Zionists for being antisemitic because of the strong campus presence of Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS)-supporting organizations, including Students for Justice in Palestine. My grandparents urged me to consider the literature, in case anyone wanted to try me on Israel.

What they didn’t know was I am a supporter of the fight against the further destruction of Palestinian lives and borders, and have been deeply critical of Israeli military choices for some time. I left my Jewish youth group at 15 because I was already beginning to have different views on Israel (among other things), but I never told my grandparents. I took the book from their hands, and thanked them for the gift. The next morning, I dropped it off at a public book-donation center.
Notice what author Emma Gometz didn't do: read the book and counter its arguments.

Because she couldn't. And if she tried, and was intellectually honest, she would be forced to modify her opinion of Israel that she reached when she was a wizened 15 year old. 

After all, what do her grandparents know?
My grandparents are lifelong educators. My grandmother was a grade school teacher and my grandfather was an active rabbi for 36 years. 

Obviously, not as much as their granddaughter:

 I love being Jewish. I love Hanukkah. I love the prayers L’chah Dodi and Avinu Malkeinu. I love my rabbi, I loved my bat mitzvah, I love gefilte fish and horseradish, I love playwright Paula Vogel, I love Adam Sandler, and I love my family.

Clearly, Emma has much better credentials to talk about Israel and Judaism than her grandparents. 

Gometz pretends that she doesn't want to speak about Israel with her grandparents because she loves them and it might hurt them. But Emma is the fragile one - refusing to even have a conversation with, or read the books of, knowledgeable Zionists. 

Who is afraid of the truth?

Gometz ends off by saying that this Chanukah she plans to bring up her concerns about Israel, if the topic comes up:

This Hanukkah, while we celebrate the festival of lights and give our thanks for the miracles G-d has given us, my relatives might offer me their opinions on Israel. I will be lovingly disagreeing.

Notice that she doesn't say that she will be listening. Gometz wants to lovingly lecture, but she doesn't want to have a real conversation. 

If this was just one article in Teen Vogue, it would be easy to make fun of it and move on. But Teen Vogue has had a series of articles, aimed at girls as young as 12, all with a similarly one-sided and false view of Israel from clueless Jews: 

Jewish Teens Protested to Support Palestinian Activist Ahed Tamimi on Her 17th Birthday

I Am a Jewish Teen and I Support the Palestinian Cause

How Policing in the U.S. and Security in Israel Are Connected

The Israeli Government’s Violence Doesn’t Represent My Judaism

Teens, by and large, have poor critical thinking skills. So do adults. But teens are more likely to assimilate the first thing they read on a topic and never let go. Emotions solidify their opinions more than facts. The net result is a generation of girls who run away from actually learning about Israel and instead arrogantly assume that they know more than the old fogeys who write books on the topic.

Teen Vogue is purposefully indoctrinating young girls to hate Israel while they read about fashion and pop culture.

To be sure, Teen Vogue's gross irresponsibility towards teens doesn't end with this topic. The magazine's politics is uniformly far-Left. They have articles promoting sexting and anal sex - to twelve year olds! 

Yet the magazine positions these articles as being part of a nationwide lesson plan for junior high and high schools to teach teens the right Left way to think. Yes, Conde Nast makes millions by publishing articles about the evils of capitalism. It isn't editorial filler - it is a conscious effort to brainwash teens at an age where they have no aptitude to disagree. The articles do not even allow comments so the magazine can ensure that the information that the kids read is not polluted with other viewpoints. 

This goes beyond being irresponsible. This is an active, conscious attempt to propagandize children who have no tools to think critically. 

(h/t JW)







AddToAny

EoZ Book:"Protocols: Exposing Modern Antisemitism"

Printfriendly

EoZTV Podcast

Podcast URL

Subscribe in podnovaSubscribe with FeedlyAdd to netvibes
addtomyyahoo4Subscribe with SubToMe

search eoz

comments

Speaking

translate

E-Book

For $18 donation








Sample Text

EoZ's Most Popular Posts in recent years

Hasbys!

Elder of Ziyon - حـكـيـم صـهـيـون



This blog may be a labor of love for me, but it takes a lot of effort, time and money. For over 19 years and 40,000 articles I have been providing accurate, original news that would have remained unnoticed. I've written hundreds of scoops and sometimes my reporting ends up making a real difference. I appreciate any donations you can give to keep this blog going.

Donate!

Donate to fight for Israel!

Monthly subscription:
Payment options


One time donation:

subscribe via email

Follow EoZ on Twitter!

Interesting Blogs

Blog Archive