- The Palestinian Authority is the supposedly democratic institution that has administrative and some security responsibilities over sections of the West Bank.
- Fatah is the terror group/ political party that dominates the PA.
- Hamas is the terror group/political party that controls Gaza.
- In the last election, Hamas took over the PA but then the PA's president gave the power back to Fatah.
- The PA's president, Mahmoud Abbas, is also the leader of Fatah and of the PLO.
- Abbas has been president of the PA well past the date that elections were due to be held. Hamas does not recognize him as president of the PA.
- The PA works for the PLO. It is not independent at all.
- The PA has no ability to engage in international diplomacy, only the PLO speaks to the international community concerning "Palestine."
- Hamas, which controls some 40% of the Arabs in the territories, opposes the bid.
- The PLO has a Palestinian National Council that is supposedly its main legislative body. It has not met since 2009.
- The PNC chooses the PLO Executive Committee which is the main executive branch of the PLO.
- The two groups are somewhat incestuous, as the Executive Committee is the main group that nominates candidates for the PNC and the Executive Committee is elected by the PNC.
- The PLO is supposedly the party that is bringing the unilateral statehood bid to the UN.
PLO central council member Nabil Amr said Tuesday that the Palestinian request for full UN membership is not a "bid" but rather a diplomatic activity.If this is true, it means that the UN bid is not legal according to the PLO's own rules. The PNC never voted to approve the UN bid, and it is supposed to make all policy decisions.
The former ambassador to Egypt expressed reservations over the plan to seek state membership of the United Nations at the annual General Assembly meeting in New York, which opens on Monday.
...Regarding the PLO, Amr said members of the PLO executive committee "knew nothing" about what the Palestinian leadership was doing and had "no real, effective role."
The only conclusion?
Mahmoud Abbas is a totalitarian dictator, and the current UN bid is being led by someone who cannot even abide by the rules of the organizations he heads.