President Mahmoud Abbas urged leaders of the American Jewish community to support efforts to bring peace to the Middle East.I cannot find any mention of this meeting in the news media. (UPDATE: TOI has the story now, h/t Ian.)
He told a group of Jewish community leaders he met in New York Monday evening that this is the time to make peace.
“We have a real opportunity to achieve lasting, just, and comprehensive peace,” he said on the eve of the opening sessions of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). “We can do it, make no mistake. No one gains more from reaching an agreement than Palestinians, and no one loses more if we fail to reach an agreement. Failure in not an option for us,” he said.
“We need your support to ensure the successful conclusion of the peace negotiations so that the State of Palestine can live side by side with the State of Israel in peace and security on the 1967 borders,” said Abbas.
Abbas said that he speaks the same language everywhere in the world, urging the Jewish community leaders to listen to his speech at the UNGA in which he will reiterate the Palestinian position of an independent state on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital along with resolving all final status issues.
Which brings up two questions:
Who are these "leaders" that are so eager to meet Abbas?
And if they are pro-Israel, why are they so ignorant that they cannot ask him any real questions?
- If you are so interested in peace, why did you go out of your way to meet with child-murderer Samir Kuntar?
- Why does the PA name institutions after terrorists who targeted innocent civilians?
- Why is there still daily incitement on PA TV against Israel?
- Do you believe, as Arafat did, that there was never a Jewish Temple in Jerusalem? Do you realize that this position is at odds with what Muslims said openly before 1967?
- Do you agree with many of your people that there should be no "normalization" with Jews in Israel?
- Why did you threaten your citizens who dared to shop in a Jewish-owned supermarket that has low prices?
- Recently you said that you believe that the Holocaust occurred. You wrote a book that claimed that it was exaggerated. Were you lying then, or are you lying now?
- Do you really believe that Jews are raising dogs and wild boars and training them to attack Arab farms, as you have stated?
- Do you really believe that Hamas would accept Israel's existence if you reconcile with them? Do you actually read any of their material?
- Why does the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades terror group still exist, if you are the leader of Fatah? How do they get funded?
- Do you agree with the Fatah platform that terrorism is legal under international law?
- Why does some 6% of the PA budget go towards terrorist prisoners and released terrorists?
- Do you consider the Mufti of Jerusalem who collaborated with Hitler to be a hero?
There are plenty more questions like these that an educated Zionist leadership should know to ask. I have lots of examples of Abbas' lies and outrageous actions through the years.
Any Western politician who could be accused of any one of these positions would be mercilessly pilloried if they met with these same "leaders," but Abbas is given a free pass with only perfunctory questions that he knows how to sidestep.
So were the "Jewish leaders" simply members of J-Street and writers for Open Zion, or were they clueless heads of local federations, or what? And even if they were J-Streeters or Peter Beinart's gang - shouldn't intellectual honesty force them to ask these questions of Abbas anyway?