In a scientific survey conducted face-to-face with Palestinians in the West Bank, 71 percent specified one or more material factors that would induce them to emigrate permanently.
The poll, which queried a random sample of 528 people Nov. 15-21, showed about half would consider leaving permanently for life in another land if they had the wherewithal and ability.
The survey asked, "If today you had the wherewithal and ability to leave and live permanently in another country would you?"
A total of 50 percent would consider it, with 33 percent saying "maybe" and 17 percent yes. Forty-one percent said no.
The poll indicated 42 percent have considered leaving permanently.
The Arabic-language survey was conducted by Maagar Mohot Interdisciplinary Research and Consulting Institute in Israel in collaboration with the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion, reported Independent Media Review and Analysis
The Palestinian center carried out the sampling and interviews while the questionaire design, data input, statistical processing and formulation of the final report were done by the Israeli firm.
Asked what would make you permanently move to another country, the respondents answered [Note: More than one factor allowed; weighted figures presented]:
* 15 percent – Nothing would make me leave
* 16 percent – Guarantee of a good job overseas
* 12 percent – Situation here gets worse
* 10 percent – Generous financial assistance
* 9 percent – Financial guarantee equal to average wages in the West Bank today for life
* 8 percent – Guarantee of good housing
* 6 percent – Guarantee of good education for the children
* 5 percent – On condition that the entire family goes with me
* 2 percent – Supportive community in the new place
* 17 percent – Other.
Asked whether they believe the Palestinian Authority is doing enough today to improve their lives, 53 percent said no, 33 percent yes, and 14 percent "other."
A plurality of 46 percent said they believe the PA is corrupt, while 35 percent said it was not, and 14 percent had another response.
MUST WATCH: Who Is Linda Sarsour. Really?
3 hours ago